Understanding Management 10th Edition by Daft – Test Bank
1. Hiring and keeping quality employees is one of the most urgent concerns for today’s organizations.
2. Finding the right people to apply new information technology for e-business is a current strategic issue of particular concern for HR managers.
3. Affirmative action requires that an employer take positive steps to guarantee promotion from within.
4. One of the questions that human resource planning should consider includes “what is the profit margin and inventory turnover rate?”
5. Recruiting activities can be divided into (1) internal recruiting including “promote from within” policies, and (2) external recruiting including the use of headhunters.
6. Research shows that realistic job previews lower employee satisfaction and increase turnover.
7. Recruiters are now viewing the profiles and pictures of candidates on social networking sites such as Facebook.
8. Wage and salary surveys show what other organizations pay incumbents in jobs that match a sample of “key” jobs selected by the organization.
9. Exit interviews are valuable HR tools only if the departing employee leaves voluntarily.
10. Because employees with different backgrounds bring different options and ideas to the table, a diverse workforce may lead to increased conflict, anxiety, and misunderstanding.
11. The traditional dimension of diversity can be acquired or changed throughout one’s lifetime.
12. A diverse workforce is better able to anticipate and respond to changing consumer needs.
13. Homogeneous top management teams tend to be broadminded in their perspectives.
14. Stereotypes assume that all members of a group have the same characteristics.
15. Most organizations make a conscious effort to shift from a pluralism perspective to one of monoculture.
16. Research shows that companies with several senior-level women underperform financially and organizationally in comparison to those without senior-level women.
17. Many people believe that men make better managers because of their more collaborative, less hierarchical, relationship-oriented approach that is in tune with today’s global and multicultural environment.
18. Sexual harassment in the workplace is a violation of Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.
19. Solicitation with the promise of reward is the highest level of sexual harassment.
20. Most organizations that cut benefits during the recent recession plan to restore them in the near future.
21. Today’s workers are younger than ever before.
22. The Equal Pay Act prohibits differences in pay on account of race.
23. All of the following are current strategic issues of particular concern to managers, except:
a. hiring the right people to become more competitive on a global basis.
b. hiring the right people for improving quality, innovation, and customer service.
*c. hiring the right people to become more competitive on a local basis.
d. knowing the right people to retain during mergers and acquisitions.
e. hiring the right people to apply new information technology for e-business.
24. Which of the following created the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission?
a. Americans with Disabilities Act
*b. Civil Rights Act
c. Equal Pay Act
d. Vocational Rehabilitation Act
e. Immigration Reform and Control Act
25. The Family and Medical Leave Act requires employers to provide up to _____ weeks unpaid leave for childbirth, adoption, or family emergencies.
26. Artie’s Pretzels is a small but well-known company that receives thousands of job applications every year, though it only fills about 50 positions annually. Company managers have learned that Artie’s human resource practices are one of the driving factors that attract potential employees. Artie’s Pretzels is an example of a(n):
a. contingency employer.
b. employer of options.
*c. employer of choice.
d. employer of necessity.
e. telecommuter-friendly employer.
27. Conolly Company uses internal recruiting whenever possible. This practice:
a. costs more than external recruiting.
b. decreases employee satisfaction.
*c. generates increased employee commitment.
d. demotivates existing employee given limited socializing opportunities.
e. gives employees an upper hand in negotiations.
28. While interviews are _____, they are generally _____ predictors of subsequent job performance.
a. rarely used; not valid
*b. widely used; not valid
c. rarely used; excellent
d. widely used; valid
e. painful; excellent
29. Which of the following is inappropriate to ask on an employment application?
a. If the applicant is over 18
b. Where the applicant went to school
c. If the applicant has ever been convicted of a crime
d. Whether the applicant has any disabilities that might inhibit job performance
*e. Applicant’s ancestry/ethnicity
30. Pizza Deluxe University is an in-house center and education facility that offers broad-based learning opportunities for employees. Pizza Deluxe University would be considered a(n):
a. assessment center.
b. on-the-job training center.
c. orientation center.
*d. corporate university.
e. learning community.
31. Colby is a new interviewer who just finished an interview with Renee. Her professional style and her flawless grooming immediately struck him. Colby gave Renee a very good evaluation although her previous work experience and educational background were not that exceptional. What rating error did Colby succumb to?
*a. Halo effect
b. Central tendency
e. General tendency
32. Sandra, a human resources manager at an advertising firm, is currently in the process of determining the value and worth of advertising executive positions within the agency. This is referred to as:
c. wage and salary surveying.
d. incentive pay.
*e. job evaluation.
33. Which workforce generation category is characterized as ambitious but lacking loyalty to the organization?
a. Generation X
*b. Generation Y
c. Baby boomers
d. Teeny boppers
e. Generation A
34. Which racial or ethnic category currently represents the largest and fastest growing minority group?
b. African American
e. Native American
35. Hopetech Industries has a corporate diversity plan that limits diversity to areas that do not change throughout a person’s lifetime, such as race, gender, age, and disability. Hopetech’s diversity plan follows which model of corporate diversity?
a. Inclusive model
b. Exclusive model
*c. Traditional model
d. Learning model
e. Static model
36. Which of the following is not a dividend of workplace diversity?
a. Reduced costs associated with high turnover, absenteeism, and lawsuits.
b. Increased understanding of the marketplace.
c. Better use of employee talent.
*d. Increased costs associated with high turnover, absenteeism, and lawsuits.
e. Enhanced quality of team problem solving.
37. Smileline Inc. has an onsite daycare facility and provides employees fulltime daycare at a very low cost. The company implemented this years ago when managers realized that childcare responsibilities were contributing to high turnover and absenteeism. This example highlights which dividend of workplace diversity?
a. Better use of employee talent
b. Increased understanding of the marketplace
c. Increased quality of team problem solving
d. Enhanced breadth of understanding in leadership positions
*e. Reduced costs associated with high turnover, absenteeism, and lawsuits
38. Stephanie is nervous about giving a presentation at the marketing firm where she works. One of her male coworkers told her, “Don’t be such a girl, attack that presentation!” Now Stephanie is so concerned about appearing tough that she can barely concentrate on the content of the presentation. Stephanie’s anxiety stems from:
*a. stereotype threat.
d. glass ceiling threat.
e. the female advantage.
39. _____ is a psychological experience of a person who, usually engaged in a task, is aware of a stereotype about his or her identity group suggesting he or she will not perform well on that task.
a. Typecast threat
b. Discriminatory threat
*d. Stereotype threat
e. Classified threat
40. Phlex Plastic has a very strong set of corporate values. In fact, Phlex has been known to discourage the emergence of alternative values. Phlex is most likely:
a. a diverse organization.
b. an organization that encourages pluralism.
*c. a monoculture.
e. minority-owned organization.
41. Which of the following means that an organization accommodates several subcultures?
42. Josephine would like to become part of an elite manager network at her company so she can get access to general and line management experience to help her succeed within the company. However, she learns that the manager network is made up exclusively of men. This demonstrates which factor affecting women’s careers?
a. Female advantage
b. Opt-out trend
*c. Glass ceiling
d. Glass wall
e. Opaque ceiling
43. Riya was a highly successful manager at Optics International. After ten years with the company, she decided to leave and become a fulltime mother and caregiver to her ailing father. This example demonstrates which factor affecting women’s careers?
a. Female advantage
*b. Opt-out trend
c. Glass ceiling
d. Glass wall
e. Opaque ceiling
44. Matthew is Mandy’s supervisor. He promises to fire her if she does not engage in sexual activity with him. This type of sexual harassment would be categorized as:
*a. coercion with threat of punishment.
b. solicitation with promise of reward.
e. positional authority.
45. _____ refers to the economic value of the knowledge, experience, skills, and capabilities of employees.
a. Human capital
46. _____ is the hiring or promoting of applicants based on criteria that are not job relevant.
47. _____ are people who work for an organization, but not on a permanent or full-time basis.
a. Contingent workers
48. The systematic process of gathering and interpreting information about essential duties refers to _____.
a. job analysis
49. A(n) _____ is an in-house training and education facility that offers broad-based learning opportunities for employees.
a. corporate university
50. The _____ is developed from critical incidents pertaining to job performance. Each job performance scale is anchored with specific behavioral statements that describe varying degrees of performance.
a. behaviorally anchored rating scale
51. _____ is incentive pay that ties at least part of compensation to employee effort and performance.
52. The belief that one’s own group or subculture is inherently superior to other groups or cultures is known as _____.
53. A culture that accepts only one way of doing things and one set of values and beliefs is called a(n) _____.
54. _____ is the belief that groups and subcultures are inherently equal.
55. _____ means that an organization accommodates several subcultures, including employees who would otherwise feel isolated and ignored.
56. The invisible barrier that separates women and minorities from top management positions is known as the _____.
a. glass ceiling
57. _____ implies that women’s commitment to their children limits their commitment to the company or their ability to handle the rigors of corporate management.
a. Opt-out trend
58. A(n) _____, rather than promoting a product or service, promotes the organization as a great place to work.
a. employer brand
59. Rightsizing is also known as _____.
60. Monetary payments and nonmonetary goods or benefits used to reward employees are known as _____.
61. List the most frequently used selection devices.
62. Name five dividends of workplace diversity.
63. Define discrimination and affirmative action.
64. Explain the appraisal process known as “360-degree feedback.”
65. List and describe the five forms of sexual harassment.