Stern’s Introductory Plant Biology 12Th Edition By Bidlack, Test Bank
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Typical leaves function as _______________ in the plant.
A. a heat source
B. solar panels
C. mineral absorption organs
D. storage organs
E. water absorption organs
2. Plants whose leaves fall off at the end of the growing season are
A. partially evergreen.
Stern – 007 Chapter… #38
3. A cluster of leaflets attached to the end of the petiole would be characteristic of a
A. pinnately compound leaf.
B. palmately compound leaf.
C. twice pinnately compound leaf.
D. whorled leaf.
E. simple leaf.
Stern – 007 Chapter… #34
4. A leaf that lacks a petiole is termed
Stern – 007 Chapter… #35
5. All leaves originate as
A. bud scales.
C. axillary buds.
D. terminal buds.
Stern – 007 Chapter… #22
6. The plant part that facilitates a leaf blade being oriented at right angles to the sun is a/an
B. axillary bud.
C. terminal bud.
Stern – 007 Chapter… #16
7. Which of the following is a function of a stoma?
A. diffusion of oxygen to the interior of a leaf
B. diffusion of carbon dioxide out of the leaf
C. allowing light to reach the interior of a leaf
D. facilitating transpiration
E. all of these answers are correct.
Stern – 007 Chapter… #18
8. Which of the following is primarily responsible for forcing water out of hydathodes?
A. root pressures
E. none of these answers are correct.
Stern – 007 Chapter… #11
9. A __________ leaf has a single expanse of blade tissue.
A. pinnately compound
B. palmately compound
E. bipinnately compound
10. The arrangement of leaves on a stem is referred to as __________________.
A. the venation
E. random distribution