Managing Organizational Change by Ian Palmer 3rd Edition-Test Bank
Organization Development and Sense-Making Approaches
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the six images of managing change, the _____ and _____ images have their foundations in the field of organization theory.
A. director; coach
B. navigator; interpreter
C. caretaker; nurturer
D. interpreter; caretaker
2. The _____ image of managing change assumes that change managers receive rather than initiate change.
3. Underpinned by the _____ image, the organizational development (OD) approach is one where its adherents present their developmental prescriptions for achieving change as being based, at least traditionally, upon a core set of values, values that emphasize that change should benefit not just organizations but the people who staff them.
4. Underpinned by the _____ image, the sense-making approach maintains that change emerges over time and consists of a series of interpretive activities that help to create in people new meanings about their organizations and about the ways in which they can operate differently in the future.
5. The primary background of Likert’s organization development (OD) model is:
A. Productivity and quality of work-life
B. National Training Laboratories (NTL) and T-groups
C. Strategic change
D. Participative management
6. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of Richard Beckhard’s classic organization development (OD) approach?
A. It is spontaneous and requires compartmental diagnosis.
B. The top of the organization is committed to the change process.
C. Changing attitudes and behavior is a focus of the change effort.
D. It is action-oriented.
7. Which of the following is NOT a core set of values contained in the organization development (OD) field?
A. Humanistic values
B. Democratic values
C. Economic values
D. Developmental values
8. In the context of the core set of values of the organization development (OD) field, _____ values relate to openness, honesty, and integrity.
9. In the context of the core set of values of the organization development (OD) field, _____ values relate to social justice, freedom of choice, and involvement.
10. The first step in action research is:
A. data gathering.
B. problem diagnosis.
C. problem identification.