Leadership Roles And Management Functions in Nursing Theory and Application 7th Edition by Marquis Huston – Test Bank
1. What is fiscal planning?
A) A learned skill that improves with practice
B) A job role of the facility business manager
C) Part of the organizing phase of the management process
D) Reactive based on political, social, and economic forces
2. What is responsibility accounting?
A) An organization’s revenues, expenses, assets, and liabilities is someone’s responsibility.
B) Managers have a responsibility to submit their budgets on time.
C) The financial officer for a health care organization must meet with department heads before submitting a final budget for approval.
D) Fiscal accounting should be honest and accurate.
3. Which is a responsibility of the unit manager in fiscal planning?
A) To shelter staff from feeling a responsibility for achieving budgetary planning goals
B) To monitor and evaluate all aspects of the unit’s budget control
C) To streamline the number of subordinates involved in the budgetary process
D) To control unpredictable census variations that may undermine the personnel budget
4. Which is a leadership role in fiscal planning?
A) Coordinating the monitoring aspects of budget control
B) Accurately assessing personnel needs using agreed-on standards or an established patient classification system
C) Assessing the internal and external environment of the organization in forecasting to identify driving forces and barriers to fiscal planning
D) Being visionary in identifying short- and long-term unit fiscal needs
5. All department heads are required to rejustify their fiscal needs annually during the budget cycle. Budget allocations are made accordingly. What type of budget is represented?
A) Incremental budgeting
B) Perpetual budgeting
C) Zero-based budgeting
D) Managed care
6. Equipment depreciation, the number and type of supplies needed by patients, and overtime that occurs in response to an emergency are all examples of what type of expenses?
C) Capital budget
7. What is inferred if an item is “cost-effective”?
A) It is the least expensive product available on the market at the time of purchase.
B) It is worth the cost.
C) It is reimbursable by third-party insurance companies.
D) Its cost was anticipated in the current budget cycle.
8. What is the largest of the budget expenditures for health care organizations?
A) The workforce or personnel budget
B) Short-term capital acquisitions
C) The operating budget
D) Supplies and equipment
9. Determine the nursing care hours per patient day (NCH/PPD) if the following staffing existed for a 24-hour period (unit census = 10):
12 midnight to 12 noon, 1 registered nurse, 1 licensed vocational nurse
12 noon to 12 midnight, 1 registered nurse, 1 licensed vocational nurse, 1 unit clerk (8 hours only)
A) 5.6 NCH/PPD
B) 4.8 NCH/PPD
C) 5.0 NCH/PPD
D) 6.2 NCH/PPD
10. The measurement of NCH/PPD will provide what information?
A) The acuity level of the patients on a particular unit in a 24-hour time span
B) The total number of hours worked by nursing personnel on a particular unit in a 24-hour time span divided by the patient census
C) The specific amount of money spent on staffing during a 24-hour period
D) The quality of nursing care that was provided on a particular unit in a 24-hour time span