Leadership Research Findings Practice and Skills 7th Edition by Andrew J. DuBrin – Test Bank
Chapter 9—Developing Teamwork
1. A major factor in defining a team is that the members
a. enjoy working with each other.
b. have peace of mind when working together.
c. set goals regularly.
d. must collaborate to achieve optimum results.
ANS: D PTS: 1 REF: p. 271
2. A major characteristics of a team is a
a. group of people working at the same location.
b. common commitment.
c. nick name such as, “Bay Street Demons.”
d. daily meeting.
ANS: B PTS: 1 REF: p. 271
3. In a team-based organization, a typical role for a leader is to
a. be a facilitator for two or three teams.
b. serve as a team leader for two or three teams.
c. serve as a vice president of teams and teamwork.
d. work mostly as an individual contributor and part-time as a leader.
ANS: A PTS: 1 REF: p. 273
4. Which one of the following is the least likely to be a leadership role in a team-based organization?
a. Building trust and inspiring teamwork
b. Facilitating and supporting the decisions made by teams
c. Inspiring the teams toward higher levels of performance
d. Establishing quality standards for each team member
ANS: D PTS: 1 REF: p. 273
5. Crystal is an external leader of a team so she
a. is a part-time member of the team.
b. is paid from the headquarters budget.
c. supervises a team while being a member of the team.
d. supervises a team without being a member of the team.
ANS: D PTS: 1 REF: p. 273
6. A study found that coaching and sense making by external leaders was more welcome when
a. team members were weak and dependent.
b. team workloads were light.
c. the teams faced stable conditions.
d. the teams faced disruptive conditions.
ANS: D PTS: 1 REF: p. 274
7. A goal contained within a team mission statement should be
a. incongruent with organizational objectives.
b. congruent with organizational objectives.
c. at a higher level than an organizational objective.
d. at a lower level than an organizational objective.
ANS: B PTS: 1 REF: p. 275
8. Jacob is a team leader who recognizes that collaboration among members is essential to the success of his team. He should therefore first attempt to develop what condition among team members?
a. A feeling of competitiveness
b. Clearly defined reporting relationships
c. Trust of each other
d. A little fear of each other
ANS: C PTS: 1 REF: p. 275
9. Cooperation theory in relation to teamwork includes the idea that
a. collaboration is better than competition.
b. cooperating with the team leader is more important than cooperating with team members.
c. a norm of teamwork should be replaced by cooperation.
d. cooperating with rivals is self-defeating.
ANS: A PTS: 1 REF: p. 276
10. Groups with high emotional intelligence
a. avoid competition with other groups.
b. have individual members who prefer to work independently.
c. work mostly on creative tasks.
d. have a strong norm of teamwork.
ANS: D PTS: 1 REF: p. 276